There are lots of variations of grounding meditations and practices. I will cover other versions in future posts because “grounding” is so beneficial it’s worth further exploration; also different versions appeal to different people.
- Sit on the floor if it is comfortable for you, otherwise sit upright in a comfortable chair with your feet flat on the ground and hands open loosely on your lap.
- Close your eyes, and take several good long deep breaths
- As you breath in imagine you are breathing in calmness
- As you breath out imagine you are releasing stress
- Breath in calm
- Breath out stress and allow any tense muscles to relax
- Now imagine there is a cord of your own energy that starts at about your tailbone that travels all the way down to the center of the earth. Imagine it having a downward flow. See if you can sense or feel this energy. Stay with this for a couple of minutes and don’t worry if you don’t actually sense the energy. You do not have to feel it in order to benefit from this exercise.
- Now shift your attention to allowing frustration, anger and other emotions to flow from your body down this “grounding cord” (this is the part I enjoy). If you have been around people during the day who made you angry … you know who I mean, the ones who felt like they were invading your personal space, this is the time to let go of their negative energy. By releasing those negative emotions and letting them flow into the earth you are taking control of your own personal space. You don’t need to carry around emotions other people dumped on you! Don’t worry “mother earth” can handle it 😉
- As you release this negative energy sense your emotions becoming more balanced.
- Take a minute to enjoy the feeling of calm before opening your eyes. Paying attention to positive emotions helps to make them more real.
Allow at least 5 minutes for this meditation. If you are feeling very agitated and angry you may want to give this a few minutes longer to allow your body the time to adjust and relax.
What is the take away from this? A grounding meditation in essence helps you regain your own emotional balance.