Once you’ve been practising for a while all you will really need is you, but I still have a little “ritual” I do before I meditate because I find it helps me settle into it more quickly.
BEFORE YOU START YOUR MEDITATION
Pick a time when there is less likelihood of being interrupted. I usually choose first thing in the morning. I remember my cousin telling me that she always got up 20 minutes before any of her kids just so she could relax a few minutes before the mayhem ensued. Choose a time that works with your schedule.
Turn off your phone, your cell phone, TV, Radio, you get the idea. There is nothing quite like a phone ringing to pop you right out of your mediation back into the rat race.
If I am sitting for more than 5 -10 minutes I often have a guided meditation dialled up on my mp3 player. In some traditions that would be frowned on, (Some practices say that the only “true” meditation is one of total silence) but I am all for doing what works and that works for me 🙂
Other points of focus could be
- Your breath
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Meditation music (not the radio though, even on spiritual/religious channels the ads are intrusive)
- Find a chair that is comfortable, or if you are flexible you may be perfectly comfortable sitting on the floor cross-legged.
- Have a glass of water handy.
- Have a blanket handy to keep your toes warm if you tend to get chilled.
STARTING YOUR MEDITATION
Sit up straight, you can use a cushion at your back if it helps you sit straight without discomfort.
- This reminds your body about proper alignment.
- It opens up the chest area making deep breathing easier.
Place feet flat on the floor. Proper alignment helps release excess tension and energy.
Open your hands on your lap. I find open hands help to release what I don’t want (negative emotions or energy).
That’s it 🙂 Enjoy!