Once you’ve been practising for a while all you will really need is you; But following a set of actions (like the ones below) before you start helps you settle into the meditation more easily.
BEFORE YOU START YOUR MEDITATION
Pick a time when there is less likelihood of being interrupted. I usually choose first thing in the morning. I remember my cousin telling me that she always got up 20 minutes before any of her kids just so she could relax a few minutes before the mayhem ensued. Choose a time that works with your schedule.
Turn off your phone, your cell phone, TV, Radio, you get the idea. There is nothing quite like a phone ringing to pop you right out of your mediation!
When you begin a daily practice I would suggest starting with 5 minutes and adding another minute or two every week until you find the length of time that feels right for you. It is easier to maintain your focus if you start small and build up.
If I am sitting for more than 15 -20 minutes I may have a guided meditation dialed up on my mp3 player. Some meditation teachers & practices say that the only “true” meditation is one of total silence but I disagree. I enjoy variety when I am doing longer meditations.
Other points of focus could be
- Your breath
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Meditation music (not the radio though, even on spiritual/religious channels the ads are intrusive)
- There are many different points of focus. Explore some of the other options throughout this site or check out meditation videos on YouTube (only listening to the sound not the visuals)
- Find a chair that is comfortable, or if you are flexible you may be perfectly comfortable sitting on the floor cross-legged.
- Have a glass of water handy.
- Have a blanket handy to keep your stay warm if you tend to get chilled.
STARTING YOUR MEDITATION
You may want to set a (quiet) timer to keep yourself from checking the time during meditation.
Sit up straight, you can use a cushion at your back if it helps you sit straight without discomfort.
- This reminds your body about proper alignment.
- It opens up the chest area making deep breathing easier.
Place feet flat on the floor. Proper alignment helps release excess tension and energy.
Open your hands on your lap. I find open hands help to release what I don’t want (negative emotions or energy).
That’s it 🙂 Enjoy!